Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pictures of Japan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Pictures of Japan   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Eric, here are some pictures taken in Japan.

Cherry Trees in Kamakura, Japan

Shibuya, Tokyo crossing, said to be busiest crossing in the world. This was taken from the 2nd floor of a very busy Starbucks.

Shinkansen (bullet train). Very comfortable way to travel in Japan. I think we were in Osaka when this was taken.

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Thu May 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Why can't we have bullet trains?

I know the cost is high. Perhaps it is because Japan has a much higher population for a relatively small land mass... I dunno.

You would think it would be cost effective in the Baltimore, New York, Boston, Philly corridor... and maybe parts of California.

Neko. We have Bradford Pear trees here that has beautiful flowers, but no fruit. Do those cherry trees bear fruit?

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Japan has nearly half the population of the USA in an area about the size of California (actually a little smaller than CA). That's why trains work so well there. Most local trains in Japan run every 6-12 minutes and most of the long distance high speed trains run at least every hour. And they are on time, within seconds.

Japan does grow fruit cherries but the ornamental cherry trees (like in the photo) do not produce fruit. Cherry tree blossom time is greatly anticipated in Japan....it's almost a holiday like season. The Japanese gather underneath the trees and drink, sing and have picnics.

Last edited by nekochan on Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

It is simply the economy of scale. It would bankrupt us to try to put in bullet trains across the US... with all the wide open spaces and all.

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Thu May 02, 2013 11:08 pm

True. There is no way high speed trains across the US could pay for themselves. Even between 2 or 3 highly populated areas I don't think it would be cost efficient in the USA. The reason why it works in Japan is the high population in a small country plus the fact that Japan also has very sophisticated local train systems and well as bus systems. You can take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka and then take the local trains to get around Osaka. No rental car is needed. In fact, having a rental car would just make getting around in Japan more difficult in many cases.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Fri May 03, 2013 10:23 am

Here in the US, it would be challenging to get around without a car.

I would still like to take a few train rides on the scenic routes in the western US. When I was 4, we traveled from New Jersey to Florida by train, but I don't really remember anything... Just vague remembrances of a sleeper cabin.

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Fri May 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Eric, go to the museum on the base, There is a IMAX movie or the train thru Canada. It's only 42 minutes long, but the scenery is beautiful.. I want to go soooooooo badly..
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Jake92 wrote:
Eric, go to the museum on the base, There is a IMAX movie or the train thru Canada. It's only 42 minutes long, but the scenery is beautiful.. I want to go soooooooo badly..

I watched a documentary about Janis Joplin and The Grateful Dead traveling through Canada on a train. The train had all their gear on it and would wait for them to do their concert, load up, then they would go to another city.

They partied pretty heavy and ran out of liquor... heaven forbid! They stopped the train at a small town that had a liquor store next to the tracks and came back with $700 worth of liquor.

Beautiful scenery, but I'll bet you a nickel that the IMAX movie is better, lol.

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm

The Canadian train tour would be great. Alaska also has a passenger train route.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

nekochan wrote:
True. There is no way high speed trains across the US could pay for themselves. Even between 2 or 3 highly populated areas I don't think it would be cost efficient in the USA. The reason why it works in Japan is the high population in a small country plus the fact that Japan also has very sophisticated local train systems and well as bus systems. You can take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka and then take the local trains to get around Osaka. No rental car is needed. In fact, having a rental car would just make getting around in Japan more difficult in many cases.

Exactly. Anyone who's not convinced, just look up the high speed rail project they're shoving down the gullet of the California taxpayer... Major SNAFU. :-E

Beautiful photos, Neko... thank you for sharing!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 am

The place was a hit in Japan.  You can see the line, all the way to the outside. 

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 am

I love donuts, but haven't had one in years.  There is a Krispy Kreme around the corner and that "Hot" sign in the window is like a Siren seductively whispering my name.

My biggest calorie-laden indulgence is my Margaritas.  I don't have them but once or twice a week now.

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Last time I had a donut was at a Krispy Kreme in downtown Nashville.  Now that was a great place to people watch on a Sunday morning.
Notice that the Japanese Krispy Kreme is two stories.  Many fast food type restaurants in Japan are two story.  You usually order on the first floor and then there are tables to sit at on the second floor.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm glad there's no Krispy Kreme in this one-horse town, otherwise I might be as big as a barn, lol. I am a sucker for those tasty little treats... and I don't have a big sweet tooth at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Japan   

Back to top Go down

Pictures of Japan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing :: Photos-
Jump to: